Why should I measure productivity?
Simply because you can’t improve what you don’t measure. So if you wish to become more productive, it is important to measure.
Productivity within software projects
The functionality that is offered is an important variable in the competitive battle between organizations. In the end, all organizations want to offer as much functionality as possible against the lowest cost possible. Within the industry, it has been observed that the best-in-class IT departments deliver software up to 30 times more productive than the worst-in-class IT departments.
Building productivity metrics with standards
In general, it is not easy to implement a productivity measurement process for software projects. Measuring input and output is a good starting point. Um der Lage sein, sinnvolle und vergleichbare Produktivität Metriken aufzubauen, it is important to use (International) standards.
How do I measure input?
In deciding how you will measure input, it is important to choose which of the following items you will include and which one you will exclude from the scope of measurement:
- Effort hours for activities such as:
- Technisches Design, Verschlüsselung, Gerätetest, Systeme Test, andere Anbieter Tests
- Funktionelles Design, Unterstützung Abnahmeprüfung, implementation activities
- Reisezeiten, meeting hours and overhead hours
The so-called effort registration system that you’ve chosen to analyse the productivity of a team, department or supplier, must be implemented in a standardized way.
How do I measure output?
To measure the output of software projects, it is recommended to use an ISO / IEC-Norm. There are three functional size measurement methods that comply to this standard:
- NESMA Funktionspunkte (ISO / IEC 24570);
- IFPUG Funktionspunkte (ISO / IEC 20926);
- COSMIC Funktionspunkte (ISO / IEC 19761);
The advantages of using one of these functional size measurement methods for productivity measurement are:
- It is an objective, wiederholbar, verifiable and defensible way to determine the size of the software.
- It provides a clear relation between the functional size and the effort needed to realize the application.
- Die Maßnahme ist für beide Kundenorganisationen und Lieferantenorganisationen klar.
- The functional size is independent of the technical solution and/or the non-functional requirements. Eine Anwendung von 500 NESMA Funktionspunkte in Java realisiert ist nur so groß wie ein Wordpress-Website 500 FP.
Um der Lage sein, zu vergleichen und vergleichen Sie Ihre Produktivität, Nesma highly recommends to use the definitions and categories that are used by die International Software Benchmarking Standards Group (ISBSG).
Eager to learn more about software productivity measurement?
Are you willing to successfully implement software productivity measurement within your business? Nesma has written a whitepaper about productivity measurement. Get your free download Hier.