Nesma homepage Forums Sizing Sizing – FPA Counting validation rules

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Babis Tripodianos
    Participant

I am counting an application which features a very large set of validation rules. The scenario is as follows:
    1) Users submit an XML file to the application. The XML file consists of a large set of data elements (ca. 400)
    2) The application performs a large number of validations on the submitted file (type validations, cross checks between values, reference data validations, mathematical calculations). There are validations for each data element, as well as validations for combinations of data elements.
    3) The application stores the valid data
    4) The application generates a report on the validation errors and sends it to the user

How should this be counted?
    a) an EI, where all validations are considered as the processing logic of the transaction
    b) a number of EOs, each one representing one validation, based on the logic that each EO checks a different set of data elements, performs a distinct type of processing and outputs data to the user

It seems that a) is most appropriate in terms of FPA methodology, but the estimate in this case will be significantly off the real effort as the very large number of rules is ignored.

Could you please provide your views?

Frank Vogelezang
    Keymaster

Dear Babis,

Based on the limited information it is hard to give an exact answer to your question. The key in counting this type of application is how many elementary processes can be distinguished. The (groups of) validations that are logically independent are probably elementary processes. I guess the 400 data elements in the XML file relate to more than one elementary process. The fact that you submit one XML and store the processing results does not automatically mean that there can only be one EI. There are as many EI as there are elementary processes that verify data and store results. I once counted a central interface of a multi-national payment system that contained information for nearly 400 different elementary processes. Based on the type of checks you mention I would expect anywhere between 20 and 100 elementary processes that store information. These would be counted as EI. The report on the whole validation process seems to be one EO.

If you can give more details, we can perhaps give more detailed guidance.

Martin Jacobs
    Participant

Hello Babis,

Did Frank’s answer help you?
    How did you finalise this count regarding this subject?

Regards,
    Martin

Babis Tripodianos
    Participant

Sorry for delaying feedback, the response from Frank was received during my holidays!
    Although Frank’s assistance came in late, it was very helpful as it confirmed my approach. We ended up slightly grouping the validation rules into EIs, which came to be about as many as the fields being checked.
    Frank thanks for your feedback, it will provide confidence when similar situations arise in next counts!

Frank Vogelezang
    Keymaster

Babis,

Glad to be of service!

Regards, Frank

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.